By doing a little analysis, you will discover a feline pal whose persona and care necessities mesh nicely with your loved ones.
Just like individuals, cats have distinctive and particular person personalities. Some are laid again, whereas others are all the time on the go. When in search of a brand new cat or kitten so as to add to your family, take into account the kind of persona that can mesh greatest with your loved ones. Do you want a affected person grownup cat who enjoys the eye of younger youngsters? Or do you need to benefit from the antics of a curious kitten?
To discover the right cat with a persona that matches the qualities you want, breeders and shelter personnel typically suggest adopting an grownup cat. In truth, John Van Zante, the general public relations director for the Rancho Coastal Humane Society in Encinitas, CA (rchumanesociety.org), says that there are benefits to adopting grownup cats—and even senior cats—as a substitute of kittens
or adolescent cats.
“Kittens and adolescents … are furry little ‘works in progress,’” he explains. “Adult cats generally have developed their personalities.”
By adopting an grownup cat as a substitute of a kitten, you possibly can profit from studying about in regards to the cat’s temperament earlier than you deliver your new pet residence. “In most cases, animal shelters and rescue groups are able to tell potential adopters about the personality, activity level, likes and dislikes of more mature cats,” Van Zante says.
Many breeders even have grownup cats out there for adoption and might let you know what to anticipate in regards to the breed’s temperament and care necessities, reminiscent of grooming. Other issues shelter staff and breeders could possibly let you know about an grownup cat embrace:
- If he will get together with different cats and to what diploma—friendship or easy acceptance?
- If he will get together with canines and different pets— if he tolerates them or actively enjoys their firm.
- How the cat interacts with youngsters of all ages. In different phrases, can your six-year-old gown him up in doll garments or will he cover beneath the mattress when he sees your toddler coming?
- What sort of bodily interplay the cat enjoys—does he like to curve up in laps or is he content material to take a seat subsequent to somebody on the sofa?
- If the cat is outgoing with members of the family and guests or takes a little bit of time to heat as much as individuals.
- If he enjoys lengthy grooming periods or prefers shorter, less-intense grooming.
- If he’s a “talker” or the silent sort.
- Does the grownup cat want a companion (human, feline or in any other case) or is he content material to be on his personal? This may be particularly essential when you work outdoors the house.
- Does he have any medical points? If so, are they simply manageable?
- What sort of Cat genetics she might need.
- Does he have a microchip? If so, is there an additional price included with the adoption cost?
- Can you contact the shelter with medical or behavioral questions after you get residence?
You may help a shelter worker or breeder match you with the right feline companion by sharing details about your self, your loved ones, your work schedule and your way of life. “Talk about pets you’ve had in the past and your level of experience as a pet care provider,” Van Zante suggests.
Another key step to discovering your very best match, Van Zante says, is making certain everybody within the family needs the identical sort—and age—of pet. “We suggest a family meeting before visiting the shelter,” he says. “Decide your preferences before you even leave home—but be prepared to be flexible.”
Being open to the thought of adopting an grownup cat might lead you to the cat of your desires. And if your loved ones decides kitten is the best choice, your native shelter or breeder may help match you with an excellent pet and make it easier to put together for the additional consideration a younger cat may have. Whether you undertake from a shelter or a breeder, the individuals concerned need to make it easier to discover the right pet.
“The goal of the counselors is to send the pets home with families that will care for them until their last breath,” Van Zante says.
Worried about your Pets?
Helath - Care - Training
Subscribe to our mailing list and get all latest stuff to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.